|Katherine Tyrrell's main interests are:|
- Drawing - fine art drawings and sketches
- Writing - four blogs and various articles and publications
- Sharing - advice and information for artists and art lovers
Contact Katherine Tyrrell
The foundations of my art are threefold.
- a commitment to the value of drawing, sketching and working from life 'en plein air' where possible
- a fascination with the power, complexities and subtleties of colour
- a love of the mark-making scope offered by dry media, specifically soft pastels and coloured pencils.
Whether an internal or external landscape, whether it is about natural or constructed forms, all of my work is stimulated by repetition and variation in shapes, patterns and motifs and by the impact of light on colour and form. I frequently use hatching and scumbling to develop broken colour.
I very much enjoy working from life and in public places - as you can see from my sketchbook pages
Much of my figurative work is either initially developed or completed in front of the subject.
Drawing people are from life involves observing and recording the way people relate with one another in different places.Collections
: My artwork has generated much praise in relation to my drawing skills and use of colour and is in private collections in the UK, Australia and the USA. It can also be seen on my portfolio website Pastels and Pencils Exhibitions:
My work has been exhibited her work in the UK, the USA and Canada and in juried exhibitions of national art societies (see Exhibition details
I now take an independent perspective and write about art societies and art competitions instead!
|I write about|
My four blogs and portfolio website provide an insight into how I work from initial sketch to completed painting.
- Influences on developing both artwork and art careers
- Information about resources for artists and art lovers
- Other artists - both historical and modern
- My travels with a sketchbook
- Making marks with pastels, pencils and pen and ink
- Creating new drawings and paintings.
- reviews of art instructions books and other books for artists and art lovers
- product reviews
Making A Mark - 4,300+ subscribers and more than 1.8 million visitors to date. Rated #3 in Top 25 UK Arts & Culture Blogs 2009 - 2011
Travels with a sketchbook in......
(featured in The Times Newspaper) http://travelsketch.blogspot.com
I'm also a London correspondent for Urban Sketchers
Making A Mark Reviews......
The Art of the Landscape
I've also periodically contributed to group blogs - and was the blogmaster for an art society blog.
|See Making A Mark Publications for my FREE and priced guides available for download as pdf documents. I'm also working (slowly) on two books. ||See Making A Mark Publications|
|Learning: I love learning about art and sharing that learning. I believe that all those with a talent and/or interest in art will benefit from some guidance - and although I don't have a degree in fine art I have studied widely and enjoy passing on what I've learned.|
Alumni I'm an alumni of drawing classes at the Prince's Drawing School and the University of Arts, London (Central St Martins College of Art). I've also taken workshops with a number of professional artists in the USA and UK.
Teaching: I have a degree in Education and am a qualified teacher with a particular interest in sketching. I've lead workshops and written articles and guides about sketching.
- I regularly share information and write about sketching on my two popular art blogs and in publications on this website. see How to Sketch and Making A Mark Publications
- This website includes extensive information about the art materials I use (See Art materials and resources ) Plus I've created a set of information websites about art media, art subjects and the art business see: Making A Mark on Art
- I'm also developing a number of websites about various artists and art movements in art history that I'm interested in. (see About Artists)
Numbers for Artists: For those wondering about my interest in matters financial and broader business management topics, I qualified as an accountant, have an MBA from the London Business School, worked as a consultant for some top consultancy firms and used to be a senior manager in very large organisations before I retired. I now find it interesting to apply my expertise in financial and business management to a very different field of interest.
|Articles about Katherine Tyrrell |
I'm including these so I know where to refer people for information!
|For an interview contact me as follows|
Find Katherine Tyrrell / makingamark on
|Articles by Katherine Tyrrell|| |
Sales & Licencing
The following are available for purchase by arrangement:
- Original paintings and drawings
- Images in transparency, printed or electronic form
- Licencing rights for publication of either drawings or articles or guides
For further information and a price list
| EXAMPLE: In 2007, the Cumberland Pencil Company (Derwent Pencils) commissioned Katherine to produce a drawing of Ashness Bridge - a landmark image which has long associations with their Artist's Pencils. This featured in their 2008 catalogue and on their website.||Commissions |
Occasional commissions are undertaken - contact Katherine for further details.